There’s always a problem in our house when we buy watermelon. You all excited-on day 1 to chow down. Than after that it becomes a mission to chop, a mission to store… and inevitably goes off in the fridge. Just me? So this summer I’m on a mission to not waste any watermelon. Noble quest, am I right! Than I found the beauty of this refreshing watermelon smoothie and I’m hooked.
The secret is, when in doubt about how to use it all… FREEZE it and make smoothies.
How to freeze watermelon:
- Chop the watermelon into small blender friendly pieces.
- Lay out on a plate or tray in the freezer.
- Make sure the watermelon pieces don’t touch each other. This can make it super difficult to break apart once they’re frozen.
- Once the pieces are frozen put them in to a sealed container.
When you ready for your smoothie take it out and toss it in to a blender for THE MOST refreshing summer smoothie ever.
* I made this smoothie for two so keep that in mind when you make this refreshing summer smoothie.
Refreshing Watermelon Smoothie
- 1/2 to 1 Frozen Banana
- 2 Cups Frozen Watermelon
- 10 Mint Leaves
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 Cup milk of choice
Optional add ins:
- 1 Tbs Almond Butter
- 1 Tsb Chai Seeds
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend! Add a little more liquid if you need to.
Watermelons are known to keep you cool and hydrated. Aside from this they have some other awesome health benefits. This tasty summer fruit has been linked to reducing muscle pain, boosting recovery from exercise and improving your vision and skin health.
Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!
Check out our other snack recipes for more inspiration
Levy, J. 2020. Top 12 Health Benefits of Watermelon (+ Recipes). Found at: https://draxe.com/nutrition/benefits-of-watermelon/