Popcorn isn’t just for movie nights, it’s an excellent anytime snack. I’ve always had a thing for that candied popcorn, sweet as anything and easy to polish off in a second. Until I wised up, and the snack just wasn’t worth all the added sugar and flavour enhances. And, cue the sweet honey popcorn snack. A delicious, healthier alternative to store-bought popcorn.
So I don’t know if homemade popcorn is a bit of a lost art with all the ready-made, pre-bagged just pop-in the microwave popcorn available at the shops. Well, it was for me and in case you’re like me a few years ago and aren’t sure how to get a good batch of popcorn each time, here’s our tried and tested best popping method. Quick, much cheaper and it’s the best way to make sure there no hidden nasties in your afternoon popcorn snack.
Home-made snacks are a great way to be in control of what you’re putting into your body.
And, if you’ve got a sweet tooth (like me) drizzling a tablespoon of honey over the popcorn is an absolute must. It hits the spot every time!
Sweet Popcorn Snack Recipe
- Popcorn Kernels
- Coconut oil
- Himalayan Salt
- Raw Honey
- Heat enough coconut oil in a pot to make sure it covers the bottom of the pot. This all depends on the size pot you use. A small one-serve pot will be about 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Make sure that you use a pot that has a lid.
- Place 3 popcorn kernels into the pan, cover with the lid and leave it. Once you hear the 3 kernels have popped take the pot off the heat and remove the popped kernels.
- Put enough kernels into just cover the bottom of the pan (don’t layer the popcorn) and leave the popcorn off the heat for 30 seconds with the lid on. I like putting the salt onto the unpopped kernals so the oil helps coat the freshly popped corn with the salt.
- Put the pot back on the stove and listen to it pop away. Make sure to lift the lid a little bit to let the steam out once and a while.
- Once you start hearing a few seconds gap between the popping it’s time to take the pot off the stove.
- Put the popcorn into your serving bowl, add a drizzle of honey to your liking and munch!
For that yum movie butter popcorn taste, melt a tablespoon of butter and mix it with your honey. Pour it over your freshly popped popcorn.
If you not a popcorn fan, give our Chocolate Bliss Balls a try!